Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Maybe I'll just start typing...

So I know it has been a while since my last post. I think there's two reasons for that, neither being a lull in activity or boredom. One reason is that the day my shoot finished, my parents arrived here in Prague and spent the following 6 days with me. It was truly great getting to see my family here in this Disney land that I have been living in for a shockingly long time now. After all of the writing I've been doing during my stay here, all of the heavy describing, photographing, and general explaining, it was beyond nice to finally show my most supportive readers personally what I've been talking about. My parents read my blog almost every day, so by now I had assumed that they were overly familiar with Prague, like I had written so much about it that nothing could really surprise or impress them. Luckily, I could not have been more wrong. I'm confident now that they had a marvelous time here, loving everything they saw, from the interior of the Prague Castle to my apartment turned into a film set to even the intricacies carved into the 15-foot tall doors boarding the sidewalks (which are also wonderfully detailed!). Their fresh European eyes caught a lot of interesting and minute details about the city that I either never really cared about or I've just grown jaded to--doors, sidewalks, tram speed, random church steeples, lighting distant buildings, Czech food actually tasting good, etc. We walked all over the city, usually for miles and miles at a time, just taking in everything, from the sights to the people to the smells and thus then the food. There was never a dull moment in our conversation either; in fact, there was never enough time to talk about everything. Have you ever talked to someone who wants to hear literally everything? There's no end to the stories, the observations, the new lessons and bright realizations that bubble to the surface with enough time to talk it all over. I almost didn't realize all of the things I've seen and learned here in Prague and FAMU--I've just been going with the flow and rolling with the punches, always looking to the future.

But now the future is here: I've shot my film, my parents are gone, and it's mother fucking December. DECEMBER! What happened?! I guess what I'm saying is that I've always been aware of the time flying, but taking those moments to recall it all for my parents made me realize exactly how much I've experienced here. But then again, one can only take too much of one experience before it begins to erode away their mind. It's like when you pile small building blocks one on top of the other. The tower will grow and grow, getting taller and more commanding, confident and consummate, until one day it gets too tall, too many layered building blocks, and it wobbles in the wind until it all comes crashing down. If I were in this program for more than these 4 months, I think I would crash hard under all of the idea criticisms, poorly taught classes, intense pressure, and overwhelming surroundings day in and day out. Not that I'm not loving this as it all comes to a close, I'm just ready to come home. I miss DC, my frat, and the rest of my wonderful friends that don't include this group of 20-odd individuals I now know so well that I can differentiate them between their breathing patters and sock preferences. I miss Cleveland and all of the cute kitties there waiting for me; I miss my microwave, having a car, playing indoor soccer, snow, Cavs games, everything. I think I'm ready to be American again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment