Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reggae Night

The other night a group of us went to Cross Club, which is a fascinating club built out of old car parts gears, gizmos and all sorts of metal contraptions. It was the first club we went to in Prague, but it was hard to gauge whether or not it was cool having not seen any other place in Prague. After about two months of exploring and trying out new places, I could look at this place through a clearer, more experienced lens. It turns out I love the place, though maybe that's because I went on Reggae Night. Clubs and bars here almost always play some sort of electronic music, whether it's drum and bass, dubstep, house, whatever. To ears older than 25 years, all of that would sound like the same shit, so to hear reggae music played in a club setting was very refreshing. The DJ was straight from Jamaica and nobody could understand a word he said, though maybe that's because he was pretty much eating the microphone whenever he talked into it. Around 2am he stopped playing upbeat reggaetone and started playing Rita Marley, Richie Spice and even some good ol' Bob. Everyone there had dreadlocks and casually smoked joints right on the dance floor, and even people sitting in booths next to the bar had bongs just sitting on their tables. The atmosphere was the chillest I've ever experienced at a bar or club; nobody danced hard or even seemed drunk. Everyone just swayed to the music, every so often cheering out to the DJ or putting their hands in the air to gesture that they love the vibes and that life is just grooving super hard right now. I didn't dance with anyone, I didn't drink--I didn't need to. It was just one of those nights where I had everything I needed: good friends, good music, good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment